My newly acquired TI99 does not work.
Please help, I am sure you guys have all the experience I lack with this system. My expertise is somewhat with ZX81 and ZX Spectrums.
I have tested the power supply: all the correct voltages are there.
I have removed and re-seated (not really cleaned yet) the GROM and video chips but I get the same effect:
- Black screen (at the correct channel 35/36 it is)
- Continous high beep sound (loud) starts after a second delay when switched on
- No boot, nothing, when switched off the sound and black screen are gone
The situation has not changed by removing the GROMs and Vid chip and re-inserting into the sockets.
I checked temperature of the chips:
- Processor gets warm
- Video chip gets warm but less warm than processor (from Internet docs I'd get this chip should be very hot he4nce the cooler)
- The chip next to the video chip gets warm (little bit warmer than video chip actually)
- Sound chip gets warm
- Middle two 4116 RAMs a little bit warmer than the rest
- GROM chips all a little bit warm
Nothing else warm, and nothing gets really hot.
Regards and thanks,