Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PEB Power Supply redesign
Hello,
I obtained an old PBE box with the interface card, the 32K Mem Expansion, Disk I/O controller and an RS232 interface card inside. The cards are in good condition, but the power supply board has 2 bad inductors on it and looking over the design, I was thinking of redesigning the Supply board and adding regulators for each of the voltages. Has anyone thought of or done this previously?

Thanks to all in advance!
(05-04-2015, 05:51 PM)bholcomb007 Wrote: Hello,
  I obtained an old PBE box with the interface card, the 32K Mem Expansion, Disk I/O controller and an RS232 interface card inside.  The cards are in good condition, but the power supply board has 2 bad inductors on it and looking over the design, I was thinking of redesigning the Supply board and adding regulators for each of the voltages.  Has anyone thought of or done this previously?

Yes, people have re-worked the supply to add additional capacity for example.
I can look around for a schematic.
2 Bad inductors?

Steve
(05-12-2015, 11:20 AM)sjt99 Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 05:51 PM)bholcomb007 Wrote: Hello,
  I obtained an old PBE box with the interface card, the 32K Mem Expansion, Disk I/O controller and an RS232 interface card inside.  The cards are in good condition, but the power supply board has 2 bad inductors on it and looking over the design, I was thinking of redesigning the Supply board and adding regulators for each of the voltages.  Has anyone thought of or done this previously?

Yes, people have re-worked the supply to add additional capacity for example.
I can look around for a schematic.
2 Bad inductors?

Steve

Yes, The power coils in the PI filters were burnt up...and they are a pain to find in the same package due to their age.
I have the schematic and I was thinking of putting regulators on the board for the 3 voltages that are not regulated, the +/- 16V and the +8V power lines for the PEB bus.
The inductors (coils) were bad, you could see the hot spots on the board under them.  It would not be too much to create a new board with the supllys that regulate the required voltage for all 5 voltages requred, but I was just seeing if anyone has done this before to save some time on the design, etc.

Ben